Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Saturday, July 1, 2017
12 Things I Think You Should Have In Your Closet
I have spent years working as a stylist. I love clothes, have a hard time parting with them. I’ve collected a lot of clothes. You do the math. My closet is constantly full of too many clothes, shoes and accessories. While every woman’s style is different, there are a few things that I think deserve a spot in your closet, too.
Below, is what my fantasy closet would look like...
1. A black dress. Because duh. Actually, you could make a wardrobe of only black dresses if you were so inclined: a sexy one, an office-appropriate one, a casual one. With a blank canvas like a LBD means the possibilities are endless.
2. Three skirts: one pencil, one A-line, one maxi. You can have more, obviously, and you should, but these are easy basics that you can wear a thousand different ways. Purchase them in neutrals that are easy to mix and match.
3. Something appropriate for church. You never know when you’re going to have to go to a baptism or a funeral, so it’s good to keep a knee-length, relatively-modest dress on hand in a subdued shade. Of course, if you go every week, have several outfits you love for church.
4. A slip. Actually, let’s make that a collection of proper undergarments to wear underneath those tricky garments like sheer white dresses and shirts. Beige bras are the Most Boring Item ever, but they do have their place. And so do Spanx!
5. Something to wear to an interview – I’m not saying you need a suit. A slim skirt or dress with a jacket is just fine, and far more modern than showing up in a business suit.
6. Something sentimental. Maybe you’ve grown out of it or it isn’t your style anymore, but you hang on to it because it meant something to you once.
7. Something that makes you feel 100% you. I have a few items that I reach for when I want to feel most like “me,” including this sassy black Calvin Klein dress I got for cheap a few years ago, I also have a big gray sweatshirt from the Bellagio... I feel like myself when I wear these things, and that’s comforting.
8. A pair of jeans that fit you perfectly. I know that finding the perfect pair is really, really hard. But it’s doable. I think there’s an argument for having one pair of dark denim skinny jeans, one pair of black and one pair of casual, easy boyfriend jeans, but whatever silhouettes you prefer, find your “favorite” style and rock it.
9. A dressy coat. Wool and knee-length in black, navy or charcoal grey is a classic option. A dressy coat is always classy looking.
10. One pair of black boots, black flats and black pumps. I don’t care what style or heel height you prefer, but these are easy, go-anywhere basics. This is a pretty good way to pack for a trip, too. Of course, substitute black for brown if you prefer.
11. Sweatpants. Every girl needs a pair of sweats or yoga pants for Sundays, cold nights and extended bouts of the flu. The baggier the better. Just stay inside, put your feet up and enjoy!
12. An article of clothing that makes you feel super-sassy. Maybe it’s a killer dress or a pair of cutoffs. But you know the feeling when you’ve been slacking or you’re kind of sad and it shows in your clothing? That’s when you put on this magical item – and then bam! You feel amazing once again.
Wednesday, June 21, 2017
Sunday, June 11, 2017
Thursday, June 8, 2017
Do we value ourselves enough? Are we listening to a negative voice in our head, or are we thinking positive thoughts?
What we think has a huge impact on us. I remember this old saying ( I don't know where it is from)..."What we think about, we bring about". How true it is!
Late last night I couldn't sleep (what else is new?)...so I read a self-help book I had on my nightstand. I grab this book and read a few pages from time to time, then put it down again. The book title doesn't really matter, but what does matters is what I got from my short reading before getting sleepy: Your reality in life is up to YOU. You make up the thoughts in your head, ultimately. Despite what anyone thinks about you (your outer appearance, your personality)...You are in charge. Despite your circumstances (those are temporary because you can change them) or anything else that has happened in your life thus far; your happiness starts in your head and it starts when you choose to let it happen.
I choose to let my light shine. I am happy. I love myself. I will stand tall, smile and enjoy all that life has to offer. No regrets, no appologies-to anyone. My life is up to me. I choose happiness and want to share my positivity with those around me. This is my truth and my reality. What's your truth and your choice?
P.S. What does this have to do with style and fashion? Everything! If you respect yourself your outer appearance will show this truth.
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Covering up my arms in hot weather...Yes or no?
On most days unless it's extremely hot outside, I prefer to cover my wobbly upper arms. I really do feel more comfortable when my upper arms are covered rather than exposed. I live in the south so most days are pretty warm but I try to keep them covered.
Can you recommend a cute style of top that I won't overheat in and one that still allows my upper arms to be covered? I'm a body type C in case that helps. I have learned so much from your program and really love getting it every Thursday.
Thanks! Fondly, Maureen
MSP HERE: Dear Maureen,
Thanks for your style question. I feel any woman that wants to go sleeveless should. There is no reason to feel we must have 'perfect' arms (most of us don't). But I also understand if you aren't comfortable, well then you aren't comfortable--end of story.
If you choose to cover your arms, there are lots of cute and trendy tops to choose from that will keep you cool.
Use these tips to help you find the best sleeve/top styles:
1. Avoid styles that are too constrictive
2. Avoid sleeves that stop at your wide part of your upper arm (like a cap or short sleeves)
3. Look for tops that stop around or close to the lower-bicep to elbow area (most flattering sleeve length)
4. If upper arms are heavy, yet you want to go sleeveless, look for tanks with wide straps (avoid spaghetti straps)
FYI: This season Chicos has some really great style options you will love...I'm all about you NOT overheating, LOL!
Love, Leslie aka MissusSmartyPants
MissusSmartyPants.com 5-Minute Fast-Wardrobe Templates by mspsmartypants featuring a hooded sweatshirt Moschino hooded sweatshirt theoutne...
I believe most women have good common sense. However, sometimes even the most wonderful woman can be lead astray by a style she thinks look...
Dear Leslie, I need help with accessories. Since you always seem to wear just the right accessories and just the right amount I know ...
It's too thick or too thin, it's too curly or as straight as can be... Yes. It's your hair we are talking about and its not alwa...