Sunday, September 25, 2011

One Basic Dress Can Get Your Style Going!

Sometimes all it takes is one basic dress...to get your style going. Really, just a basic piece.

As a stylist I am constantly telling my clients that they don't need as many clothes as they think. Most women are under the assumption that if they were to "makeover" their style (with or without my help)...they must be ready to invest in an extensive wardrobe re-vamp (think: massive purchase) and they just don't have the funds to do so. This is simply NOT true.

A good basic and simple wardrobe will save you money in the long run! When you have quality basics to rely on, you will spend less money when you renew your wardrobe at the beginning of the season. Often all you'll need are some updates with your accessories.

Do you have enough basic wardrobe pieces?
Basics should make up about 70-80% of the total items in your closet...
What often happens is: you get giddy about new styles and having new clothes at the beginning of the season and over-due it and buy whatever tickles your fancy! With NO plan or idea of HOW you are going to wear those mis-matched items just purchased. You are excited that they are cute, new and somehow you'll figure it out. Not a good plan.

Last year I did a style posting about "One items worn three different ways". It's about taking ONE basic piece from your wardrobe and stretching it to see how many outfits you can make with it. This is the beauty of having a list of wardrobe basics. They are the foundational items that makeup every well-dressed woman's wardrobe. Do you have enough wardrobe basics?

This LBD is perfect for transitioning into fall because it's sleeveless...

Below, you can see I've worn this LBD for fancy occasions...

However, bright pink necklace and shoes + a cream-colored jacket make it more business-friendly...

More often than not, my lifestyle is more casual...gold flats and a gray sweater are perfect with my LBD...


Just to jazz things up, black heeled boots are always fun and sassy w/ my LBD...


Awhile ago I took photos of a gray dress I stretched into many different looks...


This gray sheath is a wardrobe basic that gave so much...I "retired" it from my wardrobe last season.
But here are a couple of ways I wore it. One of my favorite ways to wear this dress was with my off-white sweater from Gap...


My faux-leather motorcycle jacket (last season at Target) gives my basic sheath some style edge...

By adding layers over the top of this sleeveless dress, it appears to be more of a skirt...giving this basic dress even more wear-ability...

Yes! Fewer pieces can make you more stylish....but you got to have 'em in your wardrobe in the first place!

(As I look at these photos it's interesting to me how my style and changed/updated/evolved since taking them.)

Start now and build a good core wardrobe. You will find this is the missing "link" to why your style has not totally come together. If you need a list, I have a fabulous one posted in all the Body Type sections on my site. Fall is HERE! There really is no better time to get stylish!





1 comment:

  1. Great article as always, Leslie! I always used to end up buying very 'fancy' dresses...but can see now that the 'boring' ones are much easier to dress up and down. I've invested in a couple of expensive 'plain' ones - and have had *so* much wear of out them! And my accessories (belts, scarves, jewellry) are getting lots of airings... ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment. I hope you enjoy my blog and stop by often!

Love, Leslie

4 Steps to Chic

1. Start with a feminine top 2. Pair with classy slacks 3. Ground with bold shoes 4. Finish with statement earrings ...