- Love, Leslie aka MissusSmartyPants
Friday, January 7, 2011
When to Toss the Makeup
Is your makeup drawer crammed full of too many cosmetics? Most of it you don’t use--but keep “just in case”. It’s time to let go of the clutter and have only what you need.
This week let's pitch the old makeup!
This week toss out any old makeup you haven’t worn this last year and start 2011 with a clean and organized makeup drawer.
Beauty products have a limited shelf life, so chances are most of it has long expired. TIP: use a permanant marker and DATE your new makeup when you add it to your drawer.
Eleven makeup products & how long they last:
1. Concealers. Up to 12 months.
2. Powders. 2 years.
3. Cream & gel cleansers. 1 year.
4. Pencil eye liner . Up to 3 years.
5. Eye shadow. Lasts up to 3 years. TIP: dark eye shadow can double as an eyeliner. You'll need an fine eyeliner brush for this. Get the brush a little damp w/ water and dab into the eye shadow (dark gray, brown or deep jewel-tones work great). Work the brush into your lash line focusing on the space between your lashes, and then sweep the eye shadow just above your lash line.
6. Brushes. Wash them every 2 months in a mild soap
7. Sponges .Wash weekly and throw out monthly
8. Foundations. Water-based foundations will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months.
9. Lipstick. 1-2 years. However, if it smells rancid, throw it out.
10. Mascara. This product doesn't have a long shelf life. Throw it out after 3 months. Don't risk an eye infection by keeping too long. Also don't pump the wand in and out because you will expose the mascara to the air and dry it out faster.
11. Nail Polish. Lasts up to 12 months, depending on the quality. TIP: when brand-new rub a little vaseline on the inner rim to keep it clean and easy to seal.
Here are 10 simple and practical tips for organizing your clothes and closets. 1) Edit your wardrobe. The reality is, too much stuf...
I believe most women have good common sense. However, sometimes even the most wonderful woman can be lead astray by a style she thinks look...
It's too thick or too thin, it's too curly or as straight as can be... Yes. It's your hair we are talking about and its not alwa...
Dear Leslie, I need help with accessories. Since you always seem to wear just the right accessories and just the right amount I know ...